moving some directories to the New partition but still preservingthe links

Rigler, Stephen C. srigler at marathonoil.com
Wed Feb 23 13:51:50 UTC 2005

Not sure about hardlinks, but symlinks and file permissions, etc would
all
be preserved using tar or cpio to do the copy.  Rsync is another option
as
well.

To copy using tar:
cd /src/dir; tar cf - . | ( cd /dest/dir && tar xvf - )

To copy using cpio:
cd /src/dir; find . | cpio -pvumd /dest/dir

To copy using rsync:
rsync -avu -S /src/dir /dest/dir

-Steve