Want ability to restore from failed upgrade.

McDougall, Marshall (FSH) MarMcDouga at gov.mb.ca
Wed Feb 23 21:17:11 UTC 2005

I would suggest that you need to get a handle on some of the basics first.
I would look at the output of the mount command to see how the filesystem is
laid out.  Also look at /etc/fstab.  Execute df to see how much disk is
used.  From / run "du -hs" to get a summary of total disk used.  Read up on
fdisk.  If you have scsi disks, run "fdisk /dev/sda" and then "p" to print
the current partition table, then q to quit.  Things like tar can be your
friend as well.  Some apps will install everything under one directory.
Sometimes a backup is as simple as tarring that one folder, and if
necessary, restore it from your tar file.
What OS are you running?  What is your current backup strategy?  What apps
are you looking to upgrade?  As Jason said, plan your work and work your
plan, but you really need to understand the underpinnings before you start
moving stuff around.  Good Luck.

Regards, Marshall