Want ability to restore from failed upgrade.

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Wed Feb 23 22:39:29 UTC 2005

McDougall, Marshall (FSH) <mailto:MarMcDouga at gov.mb.ca>
    on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 1:17 PM said:

> I would suggest that you need to get a handle on some of the basics
> first.

[snip]

I agree! :)

> What OS are you running?  What is your current backup
> strategy?  What apps are you looking to upgrade?

Don't know if these were rhetorical or not so I'll answer them anyway.

OS: Red Hat 8 and Red Hat 9
Backup Strategy: tar up /home, /etc, and /var and then ship them off to
another server.
Apps needing upgrade: Apache, sendmail, PHP, and MySQL.

> As Jason said, plan your work and work your plan, but you
> really need to understand the underpinnings before you
> start moving stuff around.  Good Luck.

Yeah I definitely don't mind doing some homework it's just that I don't
even know where to start learning.

Thanks!
Chris.