Want ability to restore from failed upgrade.

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Thu Feb 24 11:39:03 UTC 2005

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 05:42:26PM -0800, Chris W. Parker wrote:
> But I totally understand what you're saying about those backups not
> being comphrehensive enought to restore a system.

A free product like Mondo Rescue (http://www.mondorescue.org) can
generate CD or DVD images that are sufficient to recover.  You can even
take those images and restore to a larger hard drive and resize while
you're at it if you crash your boot drive.

> Here's why I'm confused. With image files don't you have to boot into a
> special "operating system" that will allow you to overwrite all the
> files that would normally be in use? (This is how it works for Windows
> at least [I think].)

That's what Mondo allows for.  You can restore the entire system or
individual files.  You can create the ISO images and store them on
another server and only burn the CDs if you can't boot.  It will restore
the boot block and partition table - tar/cpio/etc won't do that.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org