SA 3.0.2

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at birdvet.org
Thu Feb 24 13:10:18 UTC 2005

Mike Vanecek wrote:

>I am reinstalling spamassassin. I have main.cf to call procmail
>(mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail). I have /etc/procmail set with
>
><snip>
>

>Outgoing mail is not filtered and incoming mail is filtered. However, I am
>getting a write logfile error on incoming:
>
>Feb 17 17:24:07 www procmail[30460]: Error while writing to
>"/var/log/procmail.log"
>
>-rw-rw-r--    1 root     wheel           0 Feb 17 16:54 procmail.log
>
>As what user does procmail run? I suspect that the procmail process does not
>have write permission for the log? Other than not logging, is there an easy
>workaround?

Procmail changes to run as whichever user is receiving the email.  My
procmail logs all go to ~/Procmail/log:

[benjamin at www benjamin]$ ls -alh /home/benjamin/Procmail/log
-rw-------    1 benjamin benjamin      160 Feb 24 07:12
/home/benjamin/Procmail/log

The appropriate entries from my .procmailrc (which I have a default in
/etc/skel)
PMDIR=$HOME/Procmail
LOGFILE=$PMDIR/log

HTH,