Old RH books for new RH system user

McDougall, Marshall (FSH) MarMcDouga at gov.mb.ca
Mon Feb 28 14:53:21 UTC 2005

You might want to bookmark http://www.tldp.org/. I find it to be a very
useful site for howto's etc.

Regards, Marshall

-----Original Message-----
From: peter at mycorp.co.uk [mailto:peter at mycorp.co.uk]
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2005 7:44 AM
To: edward at tripled.iinet.net.au; General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Subject: Re: Old RH books for new RH system user

On Monday 28 Feb 2005 07:48, Edward wrote:
> peter at mycorp.co.uk wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I am just looking for a good book about Linux, second hand something
from
> > ebay.co.uk.
> > I want something about using command line I mean linux administration
> > from the shell only. I am good in windows but it's only cuz I knew DOS
> > from the beggining. Now I want to learn same about Linux, how to
> > comfigure files, what file is for what etc.
> > My question is :
> > Is book for ie Redhat 6 or 8 a good startpoint even if I am using RedHat
> > enterprise on my computer, Redhat 9 on my VPS and ClarkConnect on my
home
> > server.
> >
> > Cheers
>
> When I first started learning Linux 5.2, there were some guides I found
> which did exactly what you are asking. It taught you how to use tar, ls,
> basic shell scripting, etc. It was a brilliant start. Unfortunately I've
> lost them over the years, but the word SAG seems to spring to mind. I
> think it was System Administrator Guide or something like that.
>
> I'm sorry to be so vague, it was a long time ago, all I'm really trying
> to say is the net is an excellent resource for general Linux guides as
> well, you do not necessarily have to buy a book.
>
> Regards,
> Ed.

You are right Ed,
But true is if you want to learn more then general guide, you have to buy a
book. People are getting paid to write them. On line manuals are good for
general guidance but lack of examples , tips and simple language.
Everyone has man pages on his computer but try read this, they are writen
for
CRAY programmers with 20 years assembler experience ;-)
I finally got a book 'Linux Unleashed' Second Edition. from 1994 that should

do. Besides look at amazon and you will find that old linux books are more
pricey then new ones, they come around $65! There must be a reason for it.
Anyway I'm going to learn Linux from all sources.
Regards
Peter