General restore procedures

Shane Presley shane.presley at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 12:57:43 UTC 2005

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 09:24:50 -0800, Pete Nesbitt <pete at linux1.ca> wrote:
> On December 30, 2004 08:43 am, Shane Presley wrote:
> Hi Shane,
> first, please note that where I had said to run grub, as stated by Ed, it is
> grub-install you want to run to have the mbr added.
>
> You should be able to have the rescue environment mount the drive for you, but
> if it fail, do this after booting into rescue:
> cd /tmp
> mkdir new_drive (or whatever dir name you like)
> mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 (presuming ext3 or use ext2)
> mount (just to confirm the mount worked ok)
> chroot /tmp/new_drive
> grub-install /dev/sda
>
> Note that you are mounting sda1, not sda (the fs not the disk) but installing
> GRUB on sda (the device not the fs)

Thanks Pete, that worked perfectly.  Not sure why the automount from
the rescue CD wouldn't work, but manually mounting /dev/sda1 worked.
I was able to do the grub-install that way.  That drive now boots,
though I get a Grub Error 21.  Seems to be related to grub.conf on
that drive reference hd1.  Not sure how that got that way, since my
original restored image was only hd0 (single hard drive).  Anyway I
think all I have to do is clean up grub.conf on that drive.  I'm going
to work on that today.

> (Shane, please keep the RH List in the To field, not the CC, so a simple
> "reply" hits the list. Thanks.)

Thanks for the tip.  Still new to this.  Just learned how to "bottom
post" a few weeks ago :-)

Shane