gzip archives coming up invalid!

Steve Phillips steve at focb.co.nz
Thu Jan 6 22:37:01 UTC 2005

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Chris W. Parker wrote:

> Steve Phillips <mailto:steve at focb.co.nz>
>    on Thursday, January 06, 2005 1:11 PM said:
>
>> As a suggestion, it may pay to modify the script, use ssh shared key
>> authentication and scp for the upload and md5sum the files both
>> before the transfer and after the transfer on the remote system (scp
>> is not really necessary but shared keys allow you to do things like..
>
> [snip]
>
>> quite easily to ensure that your files copied ok.)
>>
>> Doing verification on the integrity of the archive before deleting the
>> older versions is usually considered a good thing [tm]
>
> Excellent idea except the remote machine is Windows and I know almost
> nothing when it comes to writing shell scripts. This "script" was a feat
> in itself.

Okie dokie - in that case, you could probably expand your script to
re-download the files via ftp once they had been uploaded. Then do the
checks against the original (download them as a different filename or to a
temp directory)

Basically, you have file integrity issues, the only real way to solve
these if to verify the integrity of the files when you upload/download
them.

Out of curiosity, where did you try to gunzip/gzip -t the files ? and if
they were on a windows box, how did you get them back to the unix box ?

--
Steve.