Building a kernel from source on RH9

Barry Gamblin bgamblin at hao.ucar.edu
Fri Jan 7 18:29:05 UTC 2005

I am trying to build the 2.4.28 kernel from source downloaded from
kernel.org on a RH9 system. I need to do this because fedora-legacy
has not released a kernel that fixes the latest ELF load vulnerability.

I've run the make commands

make xconfig
make clean
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install

I copied the bzImage file to /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.28 and the vmlinux file
to /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.28. I ran /sbin/new-kernel-pkg --mkinitrd 2.4.28.
I added a stanza into /etc/grub.conf to load the new kernel.

But the system won't boot the new kernel. It gets to the point where
it is trying to mount the / filesystem and panics.

Is there a good HOWTO on building a kernel on Redhat? I'm obviously
missing something but I don't know what. I've read the Appendix A
of the Redhat 9 customization guide but I still don't get where I've
messed up.

Thanks for any pointers.
Barry

Barry S. Gamblin, UNIX Administrator III, bgamblin at ucar.edu
High Altitude Observatory - National Center for Atmospheric Research
P.O.Box 3000, Boulder CO 80307-3000
voice - 303-497-1509  fax - 303-497-1589