Up2date

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Mon Jan 17 02:55:09 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 07:25:44PM -0700, Larry D Sorensen wrote:
> I am on WS3
>
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 19:13:30 -0600 Ed Wilts <ewilts at ewilts.org> writes:
> > On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 04:56:07PM -0700, Larry D Sorensen wrote:
> > >
> > > Does anyone know of a document or web site anywhere where I can
> > find an
> > > extremely detailed set of instructions for getting updates? My
> > RedHat
> > > subscription ran out. I need it to be very basic for dummies.
> >
> > Subscription for what version?

Your choices are quite limited with an Enterprise Linux release.  You've
got a few though:
1.  Visit Red Hat Sales and purchase another annual subscription.  When
you do this, you'll be enabled for another year.
2.  Purchase a retail copy of Red Hat Professional Workstation and
register that.  Technically, it's identical to RHEL WS and there is an
offer out there for Pro Workstation users to migrate to RHEL WS for 3
years at $69/year.

The only place you can get Red Hat built updates for RHEL is from Red
Hat.  They're not freely available.

You could also attempt to migrate from RHEL to one of the rebuilds like
Tao, CentOS, or White Box Linux.  I've never tested this and don't know
what issues you will run into.  It probably shouldn't be tried for
people who want it "to be very basic for dummies".

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org