Imaging Software/Hardware for use with Redhat WS Version 3

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Fri Jan 21 16:18:30 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 09:51:31AM -0600, McDougall, Marshall (FSH) wrote:
> I too successfully used ghost until we went to some larger arrays.  Now I
> cannot get an image onto a box without errors.  However, I am still using
> Ghost 7.5.  Symantec's trialware doesn't let me use it in the manner that we
> like, so I too am looking for an imaging solution.  Kickstart may be a
> solution for initial installation, but not a migration/dr solution.

For both a migration and a DR solution, Kickstart may actually be your
best solution although not exclusively.  Frequently the hardware
platform will change, especially in a migration (you're probably
migrating because you're upgrading).  Kickstart the OS/apps, and then
use your backup utility to restore the user files.

Remember that an imaging solution is absolutely the wrong solution if
the hardware architecture changes.  Get it wrong and you won't boot or
have other serious issues.  rpm will tell you which packages you
currently have installed have a non-i386 architecture.
$ rpm -qa --queryformat '%{NAME} %{ARCH}\n' | egrep -v 'i386|noarch'

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA