Installing vsftpd - Thanks for Greshko

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Wed Jan 26 12:29:45 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 08:33:28PM -0800, Shiraz Baig wrote:
> I did do "chkconfig --list vsftpd" and I got the
> answer that it is off in all the levels.
> Bur Greshko's first sentence did the trick. He had
> said, why do you assume that vsftpd file will be in
> /etc/xinetd.d.
>
> But I was just wondering, why is it not being
> controlled by "xinetd"? Any suggestions?

Controlling services via xinetd has some overhead associated with it -
every new incoming connection will have to start the server and parse
the configuration file.  If it's a service (which chkconfig also
controls), then the daemon stays running.

It's a tradeoff between flexibility, reliability, and performance.  The
nice thing is you get to choose.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA