Running pop server

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Sat Jan 1 10:46:17 UTC 2005

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 01:55:29 -0800 (PST), Shiraz Baig wrote:

> Sir,
> It is in continuation of my previous problem, where I
> am delivering/receiving the mail on the LAN. The
> deliver of the mail via SMTP is now working fine.
>
> But I now want that Windows Outlook Express should be
> able to access my Pop server on Linux. It is already
> doing so, for SMTP server.
>
> This is what I have done. I have installed POP RPM.
> Then I went to /etc/xinetd.d and in that I opened the
> Pop3s file. In that file, I changed the disabled from
> "yes" to "no".

Normally one does not edit it manually, but uses the chkconfig
tool to do that: chkconfig ipop3 on ; chkconfig ipop3 --list
When doing that, it is not necessary to restart xinetd.

Safety question here: Did you edit pop3s or ipop3?

> Then I ran the
> /etc/init.d/xinetd restart. I also tried
>  service pop3 restart
> But it said that it does not recognise this service.

The "service" tool is not for xinetd controlled services.

> Although, it is listed in /etc/services file as Pop3
> service.

You misunderstood the purpose of the file.

> I understand that xinetd daemon awakens the POP
> server, when an incoming connection arrives. But this
> is not happening.

Show: netstat -tpan

> Can anyone suggest, what other
> configuration is necessary?

Based on your message, I assume you edited the wrong file.
You didn't say whether you wanted to set up SSL-based POP3.