Pine mboxes to mysql maybe?

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at birdvet.org
Mon Jan 3 14:43:51 UTC 2005

Northrup, Wilson wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>
>For years I've been using PINE to read mail.  It's really been fine but
>after realizing my mailbox alone has gigs of mail, perhaps it is time to
>change.  It seems that having email stored in a database would allow faster
>and perhaps easier searching over using grep/sed to find a particular
>message.
>
>Ultimately, I'd like to have a setup that offers some type of text mail
>interface (PINE  MUTT, maybe something else?) that I can use through SSH,
>but also a web interface which includes the ability to search for keywords
>throughout ones entire mail store.
>
>There are lots of options available, I'd be interested in hearing any
>experiences from others who may have done a similar conversion already.

As Jason said, I don't think that this exists just yet.  However, if you
convert from mbox to Maildir, then each message is its own file.  You
could then index those files with htdig and use that for rapid
searching.  The only thing is that I don't think pine understands
Maildir, so you'd probably have to move to mutt for the text-based email.

HTH,

Ben