Re: Sporadic low network performance

On 01/03/2005 04:30 PM, redhat-list demner com wrote:
I'm running RHEL ES (kernel version 2.4.21-27.0.1.ELsmp), and have
sporadic network problems on our production server.  90% of the time the
transfer rate is 500K/s but 10% it's 15K/s.  I don't know if it's my
network provider or something wrong with the server.  The tests on the
network so far have been inconclusive but points to a server issue.

 > I'm fast running out of ideas, as is the ISP.  Can anyone please please
please help me resolve this situation?

This really smells like a duplex problem. If you're at 100mbps, force the interfaces on both ends to be 100 mbps full duplex. Do not rely on autonegotiation since it will frequently get it wrong.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA