RFC - Fedora on old hardware

Wade Chandler wchandler at redesetgrow.com
Tue Jan 4 14:59:35 UTC 2005

mark wrote:
>> Subject: Re: RFC - Fedora on old hardware
>> From: "Benjamin J. Weiss" <benjamin at birdvet.org>
>> Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 07:51:39 -0600
>

>> mark wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>> So, I'd like some comments: should I go to Fedora 2 or 3? Is it the
>>> case that with 2, it started using kernel 2.6? If so, do I have to
>>> worry about speed, or memory size?
>
>  >

>> I used to use LRP (linux router project), a router and firewall on a
>> floppy, on a 486 with 16 megs of ram and four NIC's.  The project is now
>

> <G>
> <snip>
>
>> If you have a bootable CDROM on that thing, you could burn the image
>> onto a CD...
>

> Thing is a) I'd like to see if I want to stay with Redhat/Fedora, and b)
> I want to upgrade to handle bug fixes and security patches in one swell
> foop.
>
>     mark

Well, why not go to www.centos.org and check them out.  You're already
using Fedora and it doesn't have support.  At least with CEntOS if you
have an issue worth spending money on you could hire a RHCE to work on
the system if you actually need some commercial support.  It's a clone
build of the Red Hat packages.  Read up on it there.

Basically there is Fedora which is more or less a testing ground for
stuff.  It's not worked on my home hardware since FC2 ( and I have an
Intel i815 board and components ).

FC1 worked great on the system.  FC2 it was the sound wouldn't work and
I couldn't get it to and the next time ... FC3 ... the issue was my
network cards never would work and X kept on crashing.  Upgrade and full
install both I had the same issues.  Sometimes X would even crash during
the install.

This is on a machine that I have installed Slackware, SuSE9.0, 9.1, RH9,
FC1, and WhiteBox Linux (same as CEntOS), Windows 2000, and Windows XP
all without issues.  I haven't had any issues with CEntOS that are not
on the lists for RH Enterprise.

The 2.6 kernel has more support for better performance and large
files....TB files.  I wanted to get into Fedora just because the nature
of it and 2.6, but I just couldn't handle it having issues that I had to
struggle with on hardware I have used with other distros for 3 years now.

I wouldn't have been disappointed had it not been some standard Intel
hardware.  I have SuSE 9.1 to play around with the linux 2.6 kernel (no
issues so far).  After RH4.0 is released it will be some time (not very
long..see the FAQs) and then CEntOS will have a 4.0 release as well.
The install and upgrade process is just like RH Enterprise and Advanced
versions.

This way you can still use RH for your free stuff (just no branding or
support), and if you need supported systems you can purchase from RH and
be using the same OS on all of your systems.

Wade