remove old files from dictory

Clark, Patricia Clarkp at osti.gov
Tue Jan 4 18:22:37 UTC 2005

This will delete the files.  You will want to run some tests using the
-print option on a subdirectory to verify that you are indeed identifying
and will be removing the files that you want first.

To test:
find <put the path of the start directory here> -ctime +730 -print

To run:
find <put the path of the start directory here> -ctime +730 -exec rm {} \;

This can take quite a while.  I would suggest having multiple sessions
running on the subdirectories to reduce the time.  Also, as for deleting the
directories/subdirectories, you were not clear on whether the timestamp was
the only deciding factor.  I would make a second pass and remove only the
empty directories with the rmdir command.  Read up on the find command for
more information.  Also, make sure you have a backup of the directories
before starting on this.

Patti