temporary files

Wade Chandler wchandler at redesetgrow.com
Tue Jan 4 19:28:35 UTC 2005

James D. Parra wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have a cross platform java app' that creates print jobs. How and where do
> I create an environment variable that sends all temporary files (short lived
> files that will only be used for less than a minute) to the /tmp directory,
> and automatically purged?
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> James

Is it your application with the source?  If not do you know how it
figures out what it's temp directory is?  If it doesn't have the concept
of a temp directory does it have another way of knowing where it stores
files?  Is this a common application which others are users of?  Is
there a mailing list for that application?

If it uses the java.lang.System property java.io.tmpdir to figure out
it's temp directory then you should be able to pass java.exe a parameter
of -Djava.io.tmpdir=/tmp and that will do what you need to do.  If not
then I don't know.  You'd have to ask the people that wrote it that
question if you don't know how it figures out where to store it's files.
  Just like any other application.  There is a million ways to do one thing.

Wade