Oracle on Linux.

Wade Chandler wchandler at redesetgrow.com
Wed Jan 5 20:33:07 UTC 2005

Jeffrey Strain wrote:
> Oracle on Linux.
>
> I am using Oracle 9i on Linux.  I noticed that when I shut down all of
> the Oracle instances that a large chunk of memory is still allocated to
> it.  When I restart Oracle it does reuse this memory, so not a big loss.
>  The only way I know to free up this memory again is via a restart.  I
> do not have a good reason for wanting this memory freed up, I just hate
> programs that will not release the resources on exit.  Oracle told me
> that is just the way it is.  I was wondering if any one had some
> insights to this, or a way to force the memory to be freed.
>

> Jeff Strain
> Database Administrator
> LDS Business College
> (801) 524-8189
> jstrain at ldsbc.edu

hmm.  Is oracle some how loading a module into the kernel or replaced
the kernel?  What process does the computer show the memory belonging
to?  Is there another Oracle process still running or not?  It would
have to be shared memory or something in the kernel keeping the memory
used up as a user process can't just use up memory.  Oracle uses shared
memory, so this could be where the issue is coming up.  Find the process
with the memory.

Wade