runlevels

Steve Buehler steve at ibapp.com
Thu Jan 6 01:48:36 UTC 2005

At 02:22 PM 1/5/2005, Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:

>Steve Buehler wrote:
>
>>         If you have S98script in the rc3.d directory, you should put
>> K98script in the same directory.  That way, when you start runlevel 3,
>> it will run and when you change or stop runlevel 3, it should kill
>> it.  I do not know if having the kill script with a different number
>> than the start script would matter or not, but it makes things look
>> better when trying to associate them.  I wouldn't think it would matter
>> since from my understanding of it, the number is just telling the system
>> the order of starting or deleting compared to the other starts and kills.
>

>Um...no.  You should only have one script in each directory, because the
>scripts are only run when the runlevel is entered, not when it leaves.
>Take a look at a default installation, and you'll only find one K or S
>script for each service.  Not both.

Ok.  After doing a little more searching, I see what you mean.  When was
this changed in RedHat....If it was ever different.  I know that some other
Unix and Linux operating systems are not this way.  From some of the things
that I have just read about, doing a google on this subject, it sounds like
it started when chkconfig came along.   Nothing that stats that
specifically, but can't find any linux, etc., that did it that way without
chkconfig.  And reading the man for chkconfig, init and initab says what
you are saying too.  Here is just one of the docs I found that was the way
I originally said.
http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/howlinuxworks/linux_hlrunscripts.html

Steve