Building a kernel from source on RH9

C. Linus Hicks lhicks at nc.rr.com
Fri Jan 7 22:45:54 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 13:07 -0700, Barry Gamblin wrote:

> The last couple of lines I get during boot are:
>
> VFS: Cannot open root device :LABEL=/" or 00:00
>
> I can boot the 2.4.20-37.9.legacysmp kernel just fine.

This may have to do with some of the customizations Red Hat makes
regarding their boot shell - nash. I have never been able to figure out
exactly where the ability to read labels at boot time comes from. I
would suggest you try using the actual device name your root partition
is on in your grub.conf entry for this kernel rather than a label and
see if that works.

For example:

title Red Hat Linux (2.4.28smp)
        root (hd0,2)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.28smp ro root=/dev/hda hdc=ide-scsi apic
        initrd /initrd-2.4.28smp.img

--
C. Linus Hicks <lhicks at nc dot rr dot com>