sgi_fam on RHEL 3?

What does RHEL 3 use sgi_fam for, if anything?

I have a bunch of RHEL 3 machines that have sgi_fam configured off of
xinetd, and sgi_fam is getting registered as an rpc service, however,
sgi_fam is dying prematurely and not servicing any actual requests,
including a simple "rpcinfo -t localhost sgi_fam".

How can I fix our sgi_fam's?  Is it important to do so?

Thanks!