Logwatch question

Kevin Passey kev at kdpsoftware1.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 10 12:44:26 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "D u n c a n" <drack at mweb.co.zw>
To: "Kevin Passey" <kev at kdpsoftware1.demon.co.uk>; "General Red Hat Linux
discussion list" <redhat-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2005 5:37 AM
Subject: Re: Logwatch question

> Your silence means you finally used google .
> Congrats
>
> Dunccs

No - it means I've not been at work !!!

Anyway you are right - I googled it and got this:

Yes it is an error.
You seem to be trying to create a crontab for a user that does not exist in
the passwd file. "crontab -e" tries to create a crontab for the logged in
user. Look in /var/spool/cron to see what users have crontabs, as well as
checking those with /etc/passwd for validity.

Cron expects each user who has an *individual* crontab file to be in
/etc/passwd. If your user does not have an account on the local machine this
may happen.

"crontab -e" edits or creates a crontab file for the current user and if
that user does not have a local account it fails. It also fails if users are
not permitted to create crontab entries but AFAIK with a different message.
So when I look in /var/spool/cron I have :>>amanda  tmp.1868  tmp.1915 - I
expect amanda to be there - next question - what are the tmp files - they
are empty when look in them. Can I delete them?

Thanks D u n c a n for your help and courtious guidance.

Kevin