Big Filesystem and Compressed Filesystem?

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Wed Jan 12 21:48:11 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 03:54:02PM -0500, Ben Russo wrote:
> Again looking for about the same answers...
> RHEL2 was unable to see SCSI devices larger than 1TB (or thereabouts)
>
> If I were to have multiple 800GB LUN's and then bound them together with
> LVM would they be useable as filesystems larger than 1TB?

I believe the limitation is still there - check the archives for
taroon-list.  RHEL 4 does significantly increase these limits - I
believe that the limits are now so large that nobody has found enough
disk space to actually test them.

> What if I use RHEL4 for x86-64 beta  (64 bit kernel on an Athlon Opteron
> System)?

I'm not an Opteron person but I understand that any of the RHEL4 distros
remove the serious limitations.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA