7.3, 9, then Fedora? (was Compiling kernel rpm)

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Wed Jan 12 21:52:18 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 10:57:48AM -0700, Blair Lowe wrote:
> Thanks for giving me the opportunity to get this off my chest. If you
> have some good suggestions on how we can easily migrate to a working
> server version of Fedora, and still add our own packages (like qmail) to
> create a high availability in-house distribution, I would honestly love
> to hear it, however in spite of being a huge Red Hat fan, my confidence
> in Red Hat as a server based distribution is at an all time low.

Fedora - any version of it - is not designed to be a high availability
solution.  Period.  This is a FAQ and clearly documented in the project
objectives.  I won't go so far as to say you can't make it work, but it
will by luck or your hard effort, not because Fedora was designed for
stability.  If you really want high availability, start with one of the
enterprise releases.  If you want to go without support (which you're
obviously prepared to do with 7.3, 9, and Fedora), then consider one of
the RHEL rebuilds (Centos, White Box Linux, Tao, etc.).

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org