mount options don't work

I've recently upgraded to a 2.4.21 kernel from 2.4.18 and am having a
problem mounting a memory stick.  I end up with only root having write
access to the memory stick root directory and the files under it.  I
didn't have this problem with the 2.4.18 kernel.

In searching the archives I found posts that suggested using the uid,
gid and umask vfat mount options would fix my problem but I tried using
them and got the same results.

The mount commands I've tried are:

mount -t vfat -o rw,uid=500,gid=500,umask=0 /dev/sda1 /mnt/keydrive

mount -t vfat -o rw,umask=0 /dev/sda1 /mnt/keydrive

After the mount the perms on /mnt/keydrive are always drwxr-xr-x.

How can I add write access for users other than root?

Regards,

Medora Schauer