Network Storage Drives

Sites, Brad BSites at mem-ins.com
Fri Jan 14 15:04:20 UTC 2005

On Friday, January 14, 2005 8:55 AM, Wartnick, James is quoted as saying:
> Hello,
>
> I'm running RH9 and am looking at purchasing a Network Storage Device
> (a cheap 40GB drive from Best Buy). Would there be any
> compatibility issues with this (I can't imagine so since it is
> accessed via the network)? The reason I ask is because the drive
> specs state
> that a "Windows" type system is required. I'm thinking it is only
> because of the software they include (for backing up files, etc.).

This may also have to do with the types of network support the network storage supports.  It is possible that the network storage device only does SMB/CIFS types of connections (Windows) and it may not support NFS or other types of connectivity.  You'll need to check out all the specs to make sure.

> Secondly,
> is there a way to mount the device without using NFS (I'm going to
> partition the drive. Some of the space will be windows fs, others will
> be ext2)?

It may be possible to use SAMBA to mount the filesystems, but again, it depends on how the device can be setup and if the filesystem can be shared.  But, at this point, it would not be an EXT2 filesystem, it would still be FAT or NTFS and just shared via SAMBA.

> Thanks in advance for any replies.
>
> -Jim

You just need to check all the specs first and see what your requirements are and make sure they match.

HTH,
Brad Sites, RHCE
Systems and Security Administrator
Missouri Employers Mutual Insurance