US Robotics 56K USB?

Shane Presley shane.presley at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 17:01:51 UTC 2005

Hi There,

I've been told RedHat does support US Robotics USB modems.  But I'm
not sure how to configure it.  Do I need drivers?

With my external serial modem, wvdialconf  was able to find it and
configure it.  But that just seems to be for serial devices?

When I connect the modem I get this:

Jan 14 11:38:59 hostname kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:1d.2-2,
assigned address 3
Jan 14 11:38:59 hostname kernel: usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod
0xbaf/0xec) is not claimed by any active driver.
Jan 14 11:39:02 hostname /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: ... no modules for
USB product baf/ec/1

So how do I install/configure the modem, so that it's /dev/modem or
/dev/sttywhatever

Thanks,
Shane