7.3, 9, then Fedora? (was Compiling kernel rpm)

Blair Lowe redhat at zedemail.ca
Sun Jan 16 05:08:29 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 14:52, Ed Wilts wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 10:57:48AM -0700, Blair Lowe wrote:
> > Thanks for giving me the opportunity to get this off my chest. If you
> > have some good suggestions on how we can easily migrate to a working
> > server version of Fedora, and still add our own packages (like qmail) to
> > create a high availability in-house distribution, I would honestly love
> > to hear it, however in spite of being a huge Red Hat fan, my confidence
> > in Red Hat as a server based distribution is at an all time low.
>
> Fedora - any version of it - is not designed to be a high availability
> solution.  Period.  This is a FAQ and clearly documented in the project
> objectives.  I won't go so far as to say you can't make it work, but it
> will by luck or your hard effort, not because Fedora was designed for
> stability.  If you really want high availability, start with one of the
> enterprise releases.  If you want to go without support (which you're
> obviously prepared to do with 7.3, 9, and Fedora), then consider one of
> the RHEL rebuilds (Centos, White Box Linux, Tao, etc.).
>
> --
> Ed Wilts, RHCE
> Mounds View, MN, USA
> mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org
> Member #1, Red Hat Community Ambassador Program

OK, I'm in. Now can I set a network interface up without X with any
network mask with any of these products (hopefully the latest one)?

How about two or more network interfaces?

It is just that the curses version of redhat-config-network is poorly
developed.

What about configuring our own rpm's into a grey distro - can we do that
easily, and add our own packages (such as qmail, apache-mod_ssl etc.)?

Is kickstart still used, or is that now something else. How easy is it
to set up ONE bootable dvd with the distro on it?

Can I put the distro on more than one box, or are their user licences?

Many questions, so much work ahead.

Blair.