7.3, 9, then Fedora? (was Compiling kernel rpm)

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Sun Jan 16 14:56:43 UTC 2005

On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 10:08:29PM -0700, Blair Lowe wrote:
> OK, I'm in. Now can I set a network interface up without X with any
> network mask with any of these products (hopefully the latest one)?
>
> How about two or more network interfaces?
>
> It is just that the curses version of redhat-config-network is poorly
> developed.

Sure.  Don't use redhat-config-network.  I never have and have set up
quite a few boxes with multiple interfaces on varying networks with
varying subnet masks.

> What about configuring our own rpm's into a grey distro - can we do that
> easily, and add our own packages (such as qmail, apache-mod_ssl etc.)?

Yup.

> Is kickstart still used, or is that now something else. How easy is it
> to set up ONE bootable dvd with the distro on it?

There are many documented procedures on how to do this.  I personally
haven't done it though.

> Can I put the distro on more than one box, or are their user licences?

There are always licenses but some are more open than others.  With
Fedora, you can install as many copies as you want and do pretty much
whatever you want to do with the results just like you could with the
earlier Red Hat Linux releases.  With RHEL, there are restrictions since
it's subscription-based and you're buying a support contract with each
subscription..  The license is online at redhat.com.  Essentially you
need to purchase one copy per system.  For the various rebuilds (Tao,
etc.) you can install as many as you want without charge.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org