REPOST: grep (Corrections)

Brian D. McGrew brian at visionpro.com
Mon Jan 17 17:11:12 UTC 2005

I'm having an issue with egrep on Fedora Core 3.

Historically on SunOS, Solaris and RedHat 7.3 we've always used egrep-2.2.  However, Fedora Core 3 comes with egrep-2.5.1 and it doesn't seem to work anymore and I can't figure out why.

The line:

/bin/egrep -B1 '^[A-z][A-z0-9]*[     ]*(\(.*\))'

Is what's causing us problem.  I don't know much regex but I've traced it down to that one line.  Can someone tell me how to make this work with egrep-2.5.1 so I can use the system installed grep/egrep/fgrep and now have to worry about private copies of stuff.

Thanks,

-brian

Brian D. McGrew { brian at visionpro.com || brian at doubledimension.com }
---