unpacking one single file from archive

Workstation rh8, with only 1 gb free space. Contains a big x.tar.gz backup file. If unpacking it with '#tar xfvz' it will exceed the disk space. Is there a way I can unpack only one document of x.tar.gz? Like, I know the file is named z.doc and is compressed inside the x.tar.gz archive, what are the commands to use?