7.3, 9, then Fedora? (was Compiling kernel rpm)

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Wed Jan 19 12:41:49 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 02:23:31PM +0400, security wrote:
> Ed Wilts wrote:
>
> | On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 08:38:30AM -0700, Blair Lowe wrote:
> |
> |> We would love to purchase one copy of RHEL and then somehow
> |> distribute it to other machines without violating licences.
> |
> | You can't do this.  If you license one copy of RHEL, then you need
> | to license them all.  You can run as many copies of the
> | forks/rebuilds as you want.
> |

> I'm not sure you've right.

You're free to contact your legal department or Red Hat's
(legal at redhat.com).  However, section 4 of the RHEL subscription
agreement reads:

"4. REPORTING AND AUDIT. If Customer wishes to increase the number of
Installed System, then Customer will purchase from Red Hat additional
Services for each additional Installed System."

> If you install , with one RHEL 100 servers you can, but you will have
> support for only one server.

What Red Hat wants to prevent is that you have 100 identical servers, 1
subscription, and it just so happens that the system that has the
problem is always the one that has the subscription.  They end up
effectively providing support for your 100 systems but receive revenue
for only 1.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA