Name resolution on RHEL v3 X86

Gary Kovalski gary-vk at bezeqint.net
Wed Jan 19 18:42:49 UTC 2005

Hello Folks,

Recently, I faced very strange problem.
I'm using 3 different versions of RH Linux:

1. Linux version 2.4.21-4.ELsmp (bhcompile at daffy.perf.redhat.com) (gcc version 3.2.3 20030502 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-20)) #1 SMP Fri Oct 3 17:52:56 EDT 2003

2. Linux version 2.4.21-20.ELsmp (bhcompile at dolly.build.redhat.com) (gcc version 3.2.3 20030502 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-42)) #1 SMP Wed Aug 18 20:34:58 EDT 2004
    AMD64 version.

3. Linux version 2.4.18-14bigmem (bhcompile at stripples.devel.redhat.com) (gcc version 3.2 20020903 (Red Hat Linux 8.0 3.2-7)) #1 SMP Wed Sep 4 11:58:10 EDT 2002

The following resolv file exists on all systems:

search mydomain.local
nameserver 192.168.1.1
nameserver 192.168.1.2

Name resolution works fine on versions 8 and on AMD64, when I ping computername, the answer is:

computername.mydomain.local

However, on RHEL X86 version (number 1 on the above list) name resolution works strange -- when I ping computername the answer is error:  ping: unknown host computername,  BUT when I ping fqdn for the same computer --   computername.mydomain.local  the I receive the correct answer.
How can I solve that? I have 4 machines running RHEL X86 version, all of them suffer from the same problem.

I would be very gratefull for any help.

Thanks,
Gary.