Email via syslog

Jason Dixon jason at dixongroup.net
Wed Jan 19 19:49:30 UTC 2005

It appears that the stock linux syslog (sysklogd) does not support
email delivery for facilities.  As far as I can tell, it can only send
to users (tty), loghosts, files or named pipes (fifo, not shell).  I
see no ability to actually send email to internal or external users.
Can someone confirm this for me?

P.S.  Yes, I expect that something like syslog-ng can do this.  I just
want to know for certain that sysklogd can not.  I'm disappointed, as
this seems like an obvious feature.

P.P.S.  I'm not interested in parsing utilities (i.e. logwatch).  At
this point, I'm on a fact-finding mission.

Thanks,

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting