passwd hashing algorithm

Hi All,
I am running 2 Redhat 8 Box and Fedora Core 1 Boxes,Can somebody please tell me what is the default password hashing algorithm followed in them and what were the new improvements in that field in these 2 distros.Is it DES or MD5.is there any way that I can change the present password hashing algorithm used to other in any config file.

Thanks,
Nikhil

 °v°
/(_)\