Re: some nice commands

Mulley, Nikhil writes:
FYI.
example of tar to list , found it from one of my friends
=> listing archive.
/usr/local/gnu/bin/tar -z --list --file=/juno/defunct/users/lsundar.tar.gz

I usually just use "tar -tf filename.tar" which gives you a list of all files in a tarball. If it's a big tarball and I'm looking for more than one file I'll redirect to a text file and then search from within vi or grep it. The -tf is a few keystrokes shorter at least.
                          Stephen Berg
//-                 Home = sberg mississippi com                   -//
//-              Work = stephen berg keesler af mil                -//
//- http://iceberg.3c0x1.com/ -/- http://www.3c0x1.com -//