Re: unpacking one single file from archive

Ed Wilts wrote:
On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 09:30:20AM +0100, Paal Marker wrote:

Another question is search for a file in a tar.gz archive. Now I do it in a heavy way in two steps, first make a file I can search in and then make the search: less y.tar.gz | cat > readfile grep -n "x.doc" readfile

.......and I get the file with full path.

I believe there is a command for searching directly for a file and path in a tar.gz archive, but wich one is it?

$ tar ztf y.tar.gz | grep x.doc

        .../Ed

Ahhh....  You probably really want...

$ tar ztf y.tar.gz | grep x\\.doc

:-)

--
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
fools."

--Ford Prefect in "Mostly Harmless".