To build a product with static shared libraries

Senthil Prabu.S prabu333 at hotpop.com
Fri Jan 21 05:34:59 UTC 2005

Hello List,
        I am wondering whether is it possible to build a product using the static version of  it's
dependency library by default. Normally when we compile any product, the compiler looks
for the shared version of it's dependency product. And when the shared version is not present,
it take the static version of the dependency product.
       My question is, Will it possible to tell the compiler to take only static dependency library by
default through some "flag values", when both static and shared version of the dependency libaries
are present.

      Also, I knew that using shared  dependent library will occupy less memory. But is there any
other valid reason to go with shared libraries. Can anyone in this list give me a detailed answer
on this issue.

Thanks,
Senthil Prabu.S