/boot partiition is full

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Fri Jan 21 17:19:55 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 12:08:43PM -0500, Ryan Golhar wrote:
> I recently noticed my /boot partition is about 99% full.  The only way I
> can think of reducing the size is by uninstalling older kernels, but I'm
> not sure if this will remove it from the /boot partition.
>
> If I uninstall older kernels, will that free up space on /boot?

Yes.  The method I use is:

First, make darn sure you know which version you're running.  Do not
install the current version.

$ uname -a
$ rpm -qa | grep ^kernel | sort

Remove older versions that you know you won't need.  If you're running
an smp kernel, you can be fairly brutal about removing the non-smp
kernels.  I typically keep the current kernel and the one before that.
Older than that I've been removing unless I have a really good reason to
keep them around.

If you're running RHEL, don't forget to do an $ up2date -p to update
your profile with RHN.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE