crond stops after logging off

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Tue Jan 25 02:01:56 UTC 2005

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Chu, Conway wrote:

> I login as a regular user and then su to root. Use "service crond start" to
> start the crond deamon then logoff. But login again and use "service crond
> status", it displays that the pid exists but the process is no longer
> available. Looks like crond terminates after logging off.  Question is,
> besides starting crond at boot time, how to start crond and let it run and
> able to logoff"?

Crond isn't dependant on your being logged in.

You should probably do "service crond status" after you've started it, to
see if it's really still running.

Then, you'd do well to check /var/log/cron and /var/log/messages for any
errors or other messages that might give you an idea of what's going on.
--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit