Strong Passwords using LDAP

Is there any mechanism in LDAP to check that the passwords entered by a
user is a strong password in the same way that the traditional passwd
utility checks?

I've been able to create accounts using slappassword to genetate a
password with the password of 'password' and I'm worried that some of my
recent users use simple passwords.  All our other system use strong
passwords.

Is there a PAM module I need to put in place?

Ryan