Changing systems so all text shows as white not multi-coloured text.

Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com
Tue Jan 25 17:52:01 UTC 2005

Thanks for all replies. I have sorted it now by editing the /etc/vimrc file
to show syntax off as per some of your e-mails. Text is below:

" Switch syntax highlighting on, when the terminal has colours
" Also switch on highlighting the last used search pattern.
if &t_Co > 2 || has("gui_running")
  syntax off
  set hlsearch
endif

Thanks for your help.

|         |           "Fred Magee"       |
|         |           <fred.magee at atk.com|
|         |           >                  |
|         |           Sent by:           |
|         |           redhat-list-bounces|
|         |           @redhat.com        |
|         |           25/01/2005 16:44   |
|         |           Please respond to  |
|         |           General Red Hat    |
|         |           Linux discussion   |
|         |           list               |
  |       To:       "'inode0'" <inode0 at gmail.com>, "'General Red Hat Linux discussion list'" <redhat-list at redhat.com>            |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  RE: Changing systems so all text shows as white not   multicolouredtext.                                     |

In vi/vim it is ":syntax off" that turns it off.  If you are talking
about with the "ls" command use "ls --color=never" to get rid of the
colors for a single command or alias ls to include the --color switch.

Fred