Where can I get all available updates for RH7.1?

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Fri Jan 28 19:35:28 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 01:52:47PM -0500, Shaun T. Erickson wrote:
> Is there anyway that I can update just glibc, or glibc and whatever
> minimum else that I need? If I just try to do glibc, will I break
> everything else in the system, or will it refuse to install and tell me
> what else needs to be updated, or will it just pull the other updates in
> automatically? Som many questions ...

Normally up2date takes care of all that but your system is so old that
up2date won't work any more.

Typically rpm will tell you if you're doing something naughty.  I always
do a freshen with a --test first to see if there might be issues before
I go ahead and install.

There will almost certainly be some dependencies but in theory they
should all be caught by rpm (at least for those packages that were
distributed by Red Hat).

Have a good backup before you play with glibc...  (Mondo Rescue is good
for this).

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE