Global Filesystem Limits

Jason Gray jgray at bardelanimation.com
Mon Jan 31 22:04:58 UTC 2005

Markus,

I'm not currently using GFS but I do have large storage requirements.
I'm using LVM to work around the 2TB limitations by creating multiple
mount points (Well..okay you don't have to use LVM but I find it very
useful when I have to expand the volume).  My storage devices are on an
iSCSI network and presented as SCSI devices to the server.  Using an
iSCSI portal I've carved up the RAID enclosures into multiple LUNS
(virtualized Volumes) and then each is exposed as /dev/sda, /dev/sdb,
etc.  All devices are varying sizes depending on the space
requirements.  LVM has the same 2TB limitation so I just look at the
folder structure and give space to specific folders: (total device = 14TB)

Parent Dir----> (100GB) /dev/lvm/lvm01(/mnt/mountpoint01)
   ----> folder 1 (10GB) /dev/lvm2/lvm201 (/mnt/mountpoint02)
   ----> folder 2 (space requirement falls under parent)
   ----> folder 3 (500GB) /dev/lvm3/lvm301 (/mnt/mountpoint03)
   ----> folderN .........

I can use the resize command in conjunction with LVM to add space to
deivces as needed (if needed).  The whole idea is to create multiple
mount points of varying sizes.  I suppose some people would not want to
manage 10 or 20 volumes on a single server but I find that if one volume
becomes problematic it is better to unmount one volume rather than the
whole array.
Since I'm using iSCSI (not the native iSCSI driver but the adaptec
asa72xx) the volumes are loaded after the driver is loaded.  There are
ways (I believe) to have the iSCSI driver start up before the init
scripts run during boot up.  To get things up and running I simply added
the vgchange and mount commands to the rc.local file.  It's not very
elegant but it works.

If you are using attached storage then the iSCSI issues won't be an
issue.  Hope this was useful.

Cheers,

Jason

--