file ownerships changed

Chris St. Pierre stpierre at NebrWesleyan.edu
Thu Jul 7 12:50:00 UTC 2005

This suggestion is a little out there, but it's worth a go.  SuSE
linux has a feature that periodically checks and, if necessary, resets
the permissions on various system files.  This is done according to
the specifications in /etc/permissions, which looks like this
(excerpted):

#
# /etc
#
/etc/lilo.conf                 root:root			600
/etc/passwd                    root:root			644
/etc/shadow                    root:shadow		640
/etc/init.d                    root:root			755

(That may look funky in some email clients; there are supposed to be
three columns.)  Each row specifies the name of a file, the owner and
group, and the permissions.  If you could get a SuSE permissions file
(email me off-list if you want one), you could write a quick script
that could reset the permissions of everything in the file.  My guess
is that the biggest differences you'd run into would be in which
system accounts did and didn't exist -- for instance, redhat doesn't
have a 'shadow' group, but SuSE does.  Still, with minimal effort you
could have a system that would at least be functional.  Or you could
hose it even worse, who knows? :)

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University