rpm -Fvh glibc* hanging

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Fri Jul 22 11:53:07 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 05:36:43PM +0000, Jack Byers wrote:
> I am not sure what your "froce to force" means

Fingers outrunning the brain :-(.  I meant to say "try to force" an
upgrade of glibc.

> so I am still looking for advice re my current mucked up
> glibc situation on rh8.0
> -- can i leave it this mixed way?
>    this box is still running,  possible trouble on reboot?

It's tough to tell since everything relies on glibc.  It may or may not
work.  If I were to inherit that system as you have it sitting now, I'd
start by installing Mondo Rescue and creating a set of bootable recovery
CDs so that I could get back to the state today.  Then reboot and keep
your fingers crossed.  Since you only have a single legacy application
you need to worry about, you might be okay.

> -- is it worth trying to  use rpm -Fvh  on oldversions of
> glibc-,glibc-common
> to at least get me back to where I was before starting this process?
> I am willing to give up attempts at installing firefox on rh8.0

When dealing with glibc or other library conflicts, usually the safest
approach is to rebuild the sources.  Don't take the binary package but
take the source rpm (or source tarball) and rebuild from that.  Many
times that resolves the dependency issues.

I don't know how successful you'll be trying to revert glibc.  I haven't
tried and can't predict if you'll make it better or worse.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA