can't map window drive using samba with /etc/fstab

M E Fieu sibu168 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 27 16:24:46 UTC 2005

Hi.. I have 2 linux servers with samba installed. Both are configured to mount to separate windows
2000 pro network drives. The proper windows user are created on both windows PC too

In Linux server1, I am able to mount the windows PC SPM-TEST1 using the following command

mount -t smbfs -o username=mcg_iur,password=mcg1234 //SPM-TEST1/IURdownload /mounted_spm_dir

In Linux server2, I am able to mount the windows PC SPM using the following command

mount -t smbfs -o username=mcg_iur,password=mcg1234 //SPM/IURdownload /mounted_spm_dir

In Linux server 1, I add the following entry in /etc/fstab
//SPM-TEST1/IURdownload /mounted_spm_dir smbfs username=mcg_iur,password=mcg1234,uid=502,gid=503 0
0

It is able to map the network samba drive after reboot

BUT in Linux server 2, I add the following entry in /etc/fstab too as
//SPM/IURdownload  /mounted_spm_dir  smbfs  username=mcg_iur,password=mcg1234,uid=502,gid=503 0 0

But it samba network drive is not mapped after reboot.  What can be the problem ?? any idea?

The only difference that I found between Linux server 1 and 2 is their samba version.

[root at server1 mounted_spm_dir]# rpm -qa | grep samba
samba-common-3.0.9-1.3E.3
samba-client-3.0.9-1.3E.3
samba-3.0.9-1.3E.3
redhat-config-samba-1.0.16-2

[root at server2 mounted_spm_dir]# rpm -qa | grep samba
samba-3.0.9-1.3E.2
samba-common-3.0.9-1.3E.2
samba-client-3.0.9-1.3E.2
redhat-config-samba-1.0.16-2