high context switching and high load averages slowing down system

Mike Ault mike at ault.cc
Thu Jul 28 01:32:38 UTC 2005

Magnus,

I have a car, 350cubic inch engine, it revs a lot and seems to be under
load, can you help me?

Afraid we need a bit more information. What size database? How many users?
Is it an OLTP? DSS? DWH? What size is the SGA verses the physical data size?

How about your SQL? Is it well written? Does it use bind variables? Is the
shared pool large enough? Is it too small? Is the cache size too small?

Do you use PL/SQL? Is it well written?

There are several bugs on various versions of Oracle that can cause this as
well. What wait events are showing up? Any enqueue activity?

Mike Ault