RHEL License issue

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Thu Jul 28 11:51:01 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 12:54:25PM +0530, Ritesh Agarwal wrote:
>   Can we installed single copy of RHEL v3.0 in more than one server.Is
>   it legal ?

The subscription agreement states that you must have a valid
subscription for *all* systems that are running Red Hat Enterprise
Linux.  You can subscribe none or all - you may not subscribe a subset
of your systems.

> Except it we downloaded RHEL v 4.0 from RHN through redhat's
> subscrition model and using it in our produion servers(more than
> one).Is the subscription licence and EULA are diffrent for purchased
> copy and dowloaded copy?

The subscription agreement is the same whether you purchase a boxed set
or download the ISOs.

>   According to  EULA , we are restricted to redistribute or resell
>   RHEL with Redhat trademarks.But unable to find license policies for
>   multiple installation from single copy of RHEL.
>   (http://www.redhat.com/licenses/rhel_rha_eula.html)

According to the EULA (at least the US version), it states:

"If Customer wishes to increase the number of Installed System, then
Customer will purchase from Red Hat additional Services for each
additional Installed System."

This means that if you want to run multiple copies of RHEL, you must
purchase a subscription for them.

Please note that I am not a lawyer and I don't work for Red Hat.

        .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA